Monday, August 7, 2017

Beaded Flourish Thinlits Per Ubuhle Exhibit

Last week, I visited an exhibit at our local art museum.
and brought up a lot of emotion.  The beautiful, beaded
works of art were created by women with few economic
opportunities, many of whom had HIV.   They worked together
to created panels that were sold to support these women.
It took months to create their lovely panels, and some of the
women died during the course of making their projects.
Later, Chinese imports undermined their efforts.

This inspired me to pull out some of my retired SU micro
beads and make a beaded project.  I used a
Berry Burst flower image from the Flourish Thinlits.
The Ubuhle women always attached their beads to
black fabric, reminiscent of the Xhosa headscarves and skirts 
which many of them grew up wearing. I used the Color
Theory DSP pack and layered my beaded medallion on
to a Basic Gray card base, run through the Layered Leaves
Dynamic Textured Impressions Embossing Folder.

If you get a chance, check out the story of the Ubuhle
Beaded artwork here.   

2 comments:

Susan said...

This is a beautiful story and a lovely card. Thanks for sharing the link.

Buffy said...

Such a touching story - and I love the card! It's a beautiful tribute.